Sunday, August 25, 2019

School is a learning process, even for teachers.

Something I have learned about school, is that I have not learned everything there is to know about school. Why? because each year gives me something new to deal with. Each class has different abilities, and each student in that class has different abilities. All these challenges must be met using different techniques. For instance, I have a student who can spell orally, but not on paper. I have students who speak English fluently and others who can barely understand me. Learning to tweak the way I teach or test a student is not easy. Tweaking the schedule to make sure the students get the knowledge they need in each subject can be be stressful, but I am learning and growing through each test. One thing I can say for my students is that they are pretty obedient which helps with keeping the class moving through the day with very few hiccups.

I have been teaching on salvation over the first couple weeks, and I have taught about three missionaries. Each week, I ask questions to the students about the missionaries and about the sermons which have been preached in chapel. I teach the students Bible verses to song. So far they have learned 1 John 5:13, Romans 3:10, 23. They have also learned to quote three other verses which are set up by alphabet letter, Isaiah 53:6, Revelation 3:20, Jeremiah 33:3. By the middle or end of September, they will know all of the Roman's Road. Each week we cover a character trait, and a quote. Since we studied Jim Elliot last week, I will be putting his quote on the board. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Please pray for my students. Only three raised their hands that they were sure of their salvation. I hope to have time in the next couple of weeks to talk with each one individually about salvation.

Today we said goodby to Pastor Martinez's sons, Luis and Jose. They are attending Hyles-Anderson College. This is year two for Luis and freshmen year for Jose. Please pray for them. They both have a heart for Puerto Rico. Pray also for the Martinez family and the ministry because these two will leave some big holes in the deaf ministry and teen ministry.

Please pray for Puerto Rico this week. I have been told there is a hurricane brewing which could affect us this week. If it does, it could mean a delayed return for the Martinez family, and missed days of school as well as other worries. I'm not real excited about expierencing a hurricane down here. :-)

We had a good crowd in church today. I didn't get a count, but the auditorium was full. One visitor trusted Christ, and we had four or five other visitors. Please pray for the ministry that it will continue to grow. Pray also for the building which is still under construction. Over $40,000 is still needed to finish this phase. If you would like to help, please contact me or send any gifts to Pastor Martinez PO Box 215 Ceiba, PR 00735. Label the gift for reconstruction.

Please keep my family in prayer as several of my siblings are dealing with financial and health difficulties. Please pray as I continue to make plans for my England and Europe trips next year. I need to find good ticket prices for flights.

No comments:

Post a Comment